If you’re an entrepreneur and want to be really good, and I mean, really really good at online marketing, then you NEED to read this list of the top 10 best online marketing books for entrepreneurs in 2014. First, let’s begin with the popular question “what is online marketing?”. It’s basically anything you can do online, on the internet, to enhance the brand, value, and perception of your company in order to drive targeted traffic to your site. When I say targeted, that means actual potential customers who are interested in what you have to offer, and not just random visitors.
For those of us under the age of 30, we may only know of online marketing as the only avenue to promoting our businesses. For those above the age of 30, you may have only done print advertising such as placing an ad in a magazine, newspaper, or even traditional marketing such as trade shows, conventions, door to door selling, cold calling (eww), and more.
The key in this futuristic generation is to work less and make more. The way to do this is to continually get quality customers knocking on your door (or website for that matter). Imagine getting 100 visits a day to your site and getting 10 phone calls, sign-ups, or sales a day all on complete autopilot (only at a 10% conversion rate), that would be pretty sweet wouldn’t you agree? With the right online marketing and the right website, this isn’t as hard as it sounds, you just need the knowledge to get there.
Before we get into the books, there are two infamous online marketers you absolutely need to know: Joost de Valk, otherwise known as Yoast, and Seth Godin. Study their websites, read their articles, download their iPhone apps, follow them on Twitter, and immerse yourself in their knowledge.
(Seth Godin – best selling author and world renown online marketer)
Ever catch yourself thinking:
- How can I get more visitors to my website?
- Once I get those visitors, how can I get them to contact or call me?
- What should I be fixing on my site to get more people to contact me?
- I’m not that good at computers, can I still learn how to do online marketing since those words scare me?
- I’m out of ideas and need inspiration.
- What the hell do I do next?
You can build the best product or service in the world, but if no one knows about it, it will fail. Most business owners and entrepreneurs tend to do everything themselves and these books teach you what you need to know to get it done or delegate them properly. If you’ve landed on this article and you’re reading this right now, that means that we did a good enough job so far to get your attention, get listed high enough on the search engine, and impressed you thus far with our website. We could not have done this without the help, guidance, and inspiration from the incredible authors listed below.
Without further ado, I present to you the top 10 best online marketing books for entrepreneurs in 2014:
- Purple Cow by Seth Godin – Great book to help you think outside of the box and be different. Imagine driving down the highway and seeing a herd of 100 cows and one purple cow in the front. That purple cow would definitely stand out, get your attention, and make you tell everyone “hey! look at that purple cow I’ve never seen that before!”. That is the same principle about your business – you need to stand out like a purple cow and be so outrageously different that people will tell all their friends about you. Seth Godin teaches
- 80/20 Sales and Marketing by Perry Marshall – How to work less and make more. Focus your attention on the 20% of your customers that bring you 80% of your business. This one will change the way you think and prioritize your time forever!
- DO IT! Marketing by David Newman – The no-nonsense approach to just getting things done. This book is slam packed with so much useful information it’s crazy. You will get more ideas then you can even imagine, and that’s only within the first 3 chapters.
- Jab, Jab, Jab Right Hook by Gary Vaynerchuk – If you think you’re good at social media, you’re not. After reading this book however, you will be!
- Words that Sell by Richard Bayan – If you want to learn how to write killer content that gets people begging for more, this is for you.
- Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords by Perry Marshall – Do NOT, and I strongly repeat, DO NOT ever run a Google AdWord campaign if you have not read this book, unless of course you like throwing money away in the garbage.
- Trust Me, I’m Lying by Ryan Holiday – The dark secrets of how blogs and online news outlets get manipulated and how you can earn a boatload of free publicity and PR within minutes, seriously, it works.
- Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer – Best book you will ever read on sales. How to find hot leads, what to say, what NOT to say, how to follow up, and much more. No fluff in this book, just straight to the point information that you can read over and over again. I highly recommend highlighting what you like and reviewing every few months.
- Hooked by Nir Eyal – If you want someone to become obsessed with your product, service, software, or technology, this will teach you how.
- Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug – The book that will help you transform your website into a user-friendly experience and open your eyes to everything that’s wrong with it today.
Some of these online marketing books were not written in 2014 but they still apply more then ever none-the-less. If you read any of these or have any books you recommend that didn’t make the list, let us know in the comment section below.